A Brisbane hospital is in lockdown and contact tracing is underway after a worker tested positive for COVID-19.
Queensland Health confirmed the decision on Friday evening after a positive test result was received earlier in the day.
All non-essential visits to patients at the Princess Alexandra Hospital have been banned, elective surgeries postponed and a mask mandate for anyone attending the hospital.
The PA Hospital staff member had contact with COVID-19 patients early on March 10 and was infectious in the community the following day, Queensland Health said.
The department said all patients, staff and families who had contact with the infected staff were being identified and public exposure sites would likely be shared tomorrow.
Queensland Health said the emergency department would remain open but urged potential patients to choose another hospital or GP if possible.
“Staff will wear masks at all times,” a Queensland Health statement said.
“Patients will be required to wear masks at all times unless it is not clinically appropriate.
“Non-urgent outpatient bookings and elective surgery will be postponed.”
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk also shared the message on Twitter.
In an email to staff, seen by 9News, the worker was described as a “medical officer”.
“Effective immediately, PAH is classified as ‘moderate risk’ which requires flat surgical masks to be worn by all staff, patients and visitors [without] exception when interacting within 1.5 metres of others on the campus,” the email read.
“Please follow the advice of your line manager and the concierge staff and please talk with your patients so that they can contact their family members to prevent visitors attending the campus who we cannot accommodate at this time.”
Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms is urged to get tested immediately and isolate until receiving a negative result.
This content first appear on 9news