US Exercise brand Peloton is recalling about 125,000 of its treadmills, less than a month after denying they were dangerous and saying it would not pull them from the market, even though they were linked to the death of a child and injuries of 29 others.

The company said yesterday it will now offer full refunds for the Peloton Tread+ treadmills, which cost more than $5450 (US$4200). It will also stop selling them.

The interactive fitness platform has fans including US President Joe Biden and interactive programs created with Beyonce.

Peloton treadmill
Peloton is recalling about 125,000 of its treadmills, less than a month after denying they were dangerous. (Getty)
In March, they announced the brand will launch in Australia by the end of the year with showrooms in Sydney and Melbourne.

Nine.com.au has contacted Peloton Australia for comment.

The recall comes after the US Consumer Product Safety Commission warned on April 17 that people with children and pets should immediately stop using the Tread+ treadmill after a child was pulled under it and died.

At the time, Peloton pushed back against the safety commission saying the warning was “inaccurate and misleading” and that there was no reason to stop using the machines. CEO John Foley also said he had “no intention” of recalling the treadmills.

Warning: The below image may distress some readers

In a statement yesterday, Mr Foley apologised and said the company “made a mistake” in its initial response to the safety commission.

Shares of New York-based Peloton Interactive Inc. sunk nearly 14 per cent to $107.60 (US$83.39) after the recall was announced yesterday, its second biggest percentage decline.

Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut who is chair of the consumer safety committee, said the recall was dangerously delayed.

“Peloton unacceptably put consumers at risk,” Sen. Blumenthal said in a statement, adding that he would work to strengthen the safety commission so that “companies like Peloton no longer get to call the shots on consumer safety.”

In footage released by CPSC, a small boy is dragged under the Peloton Tread +. Peloton was unhappy with the video and said the incident could have been avoided if safety protocols had been followed.
In footage released by CPSC, a small boy is dragged under the Peloton Tread +. Peloton was unhappy with the video and said the incident could have been avoided if safety protocols had been followed. (Supplied)

Peloton is best known for its stationary bikes, but it introduced treadmills about three years ago. Sales of Peloton equipment have soared during the pandemic as virus-weary people avoid gyms and workout at home.

In all, Peloton said it received 72 reports of adults, kids, pets or other items, such as exercise balls, being pulled under the rear of the treadmill. Of those reports, 29 were of children who suffered injuries, including broken bones and cuts. One child, who was six-years-old, died.

Those who own the Tread+ treadmill have until November 6, 2022, to get a full refund from Peloton.

The safety commission in the US still recommends that people stop using the treadmill, but for those who want to keep it, Peloton said it will move it free of charge to a room where children or pets cannot access it and update the software so a passcode is required to unlock it.



This content first appear on 9news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.