Mr McGowan told a media conference this afternoon one positive COVID case had been detected in hotel quarantine.
“We have recorded one additional case in hotel quarantine, which is a returning resident who has travelled back from India,” he said.
He said a man in his 40s was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus yesterday.
“Late yesterday afternoon, Western Australia Health advised the public that one new COVID-19 case had been recorded in the community,” Mr McGowan said.
“That result came after my media conference yesterday and obviously very concerning. The man in his 40s became unwell on Friday April 23 and presented for a COVID-19 test.”
The man – dubbed case 986 – also visited the Landsdale Early Learning and Enrichment Childcare on April 20, 21 and 22 which is also listed as an exposure site.
“Western Australia Health authorities are liaising with families that have children at the child-care centre to organise special testing arrangements for both children and parents,” Mr McGowan said.”
“More locations will likely be added as our team of contact tracers continue to identify potential exposure locations.”
New venues added to COVID alert
The two latest locations include:
- Caltex, Woolworths Petrol station at Morley 6:30pm and 7:30pm,
- Woolworths Bentley Plaza on 20 April between 11:15am and 12:15pm.
Western Australia health authorities have now identified a total of 359 close and casual contacts of the confirmed cases.
So far of the 303 close contacts, 72 have returned a negative result.
The Victorian man and a friend visited the Kitchen Inn restaurant in Kardinya which is now listed as an exposure site.
Anyone who visited the restaurant must get tested immediately and isolate for 14 days regardless of the result.
“This is absolutely essential,” Mr McGowan said.
Reduction in international arrivals
Mr McGowan said WA had 2156 returned travellers in hotel quarantine, but reiterated his comments the federal government needed to do more to assist with the program.
Hesaid the high numbers of returned overseas travellers continues to put “strain and pressure” on our hotel quarantine system.
“I asked the Commonwealth to halve our international arrivals for at least a month. This request has been accepted,” he said.
“However, the reduction in our weekly cap will only begin from Thursday morning. The reduced cap of 512 per week will stay in place until May 30.
“However, if the Commonwealth is unable to assist with proper quarantine facilities, I am reluctant to return to the full 1025 per week cap.
That weekly number of returning residents is not something that can continue long term without proper Commonwealth quarantine facilities being used. I’ll discuss this further with the Prime Minister and my state and territory colleagues in coming days.”
Premier tightlipped on lifting lockdown
Perth and the Peel region was plunged into a snap three down lockdown from midnight yesterday.
The restrictions are set to lift by Tuesday, but Mr McGowan would said the next 24 hours were critical.
“Right now it’s too early to predict what will happen come Tuesday” he said.
“We need to see more testing completed.”
Mr McGowan said he would extend the Perth and Peel lockdown if there was still a risk of the virus spreading locally.
“We just have to be cautious,” he said.
“We’re not going to make a move which will elevate the risk to the Western Australia public, our number one priority is to keep West Australians safe.
“So we won’t be opening up if we think there’s any potential for further outbreak.”