The Australian man had been travelling in the Philippines and returned home on March 20, Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said today.
He tested positive to COVID-19 on March 25 while in hotel quarantine, and was admitted to Prince Charles Hospital.
He died overnight. He is the seventh victim of the disease in Queensland since the pandemic began.
It is believed the man contracted COVID-19 in the Philippines, and not in Papua New Guinea on his way back to Australia.
“That is, of course, very sad news for his family and his friends,” Dr Young said.
She urged people to take the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they were able to and it was made available to them.