Queensland has recorded a new locally acquired case of COVID-19, with warnings for possible exposure sites across Brisbane.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed the new case is a 26-year-old man from Stafford in Brisbane who returned a positive test result yesterday.

The man, who is a landscaper, has been infectious in the community since last Friday.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has confirmed that a young man in the Brisbane community has tested positive to COVID-19. (9News)

Ms Palaszczuk said there is “no need for alarm”, but there are a number of venues of concern including a Bunnings, fresh food market stalls and a shopping centre.

From midday, aged care homes, hospitals and prisons will be closed to visitors across Brisbane City and Moreton City council areas.

Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said she is “hopeful” there will no further restrictions put in place however this will depend on whether any further cases are identified over the next 48 hours.

“I think Queenslanders know what to do,” she said.

“We’re just on the cusp of having to put in restrictions and having people vaccinated.”

  • Carindale Shopping Centre on March 20 from 11am
  • Baskin Robbins Icecream Everton Park from 8am
  • Market Organics at Gasworks in Newstead on March 21
  • Mammas Italian Waterfront Restaurant Redcliff on March 21 at 12:20pm
  • Genki Mart at Alderley on March 21 at 10.30am
  • Guzman y Gomez drive through at Stafford 12.30pm on March 22
  • Bunnings Stafford at 1pm on March 22
  • Aldi Stafford at 8.30am on March 25
  • Nundah Respiratory Clinic at 11.15am on March 25

Low risk venues also include:

  • Gasworks Plaza at Newstead at 9.50am on March 21
  • KFC Everton Park at 7.55pm on March 22

On March 22, the man worked while potentially infectious.

Dr Young said it is unlikely he passed the virus to anyone else during this time.

Queensland Health have asked that people watch carefully for updates with specific timeframes where community transmission may have occurred.

Anyone who visited possible infection sites will be required to isolate immediately.

People living in Brisbane and Moreton Bay have been urged to monitor carefully for symptoms of COVID-19 and anyone who becomes unwell in the next 14 days has been told to come forward for testing.

It is not yet known how the man became infected.

Authorities are undertaking genome sequencing to determine which strain of COVID-19 he has acquired.

Dr Young urged people to “go out and enjoy the outdoors” this weekend instead of indoor events.

Ms Palaszczuk urged people living and visiting Brisbane City Council and Moreton Bay areas who are in crowded areas to wear a mask.

She also urged people to remember to socially distance.

“People are not social distancing. We really need people to social distance and the other thing that’s coming back is everyone is doing handshakes again,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“Please, we are still in the midst of a pandemic.

“Now is not the time to break our social distancing, our good hand hygiene and the handshakes. So I’m sorry everyone.”

COVID-19 fragments detected in wastewater

Earlier, Queensland Health issued a statement saying COVID-19 fragments had been detected in Brisbane.

“Fragments of SARS-CoV-2 have been detected at the Luggage Point (servicing the Brisbane North area and some inner-city Brisbane South suburbs) wastewater treatment plant,” it said in a statement.



This content first appear on 9news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.