The Queensland doctor infected while treating coronavirus patients at a Brisbane hospital had not yet been vaccinated and is feared to have the UK strain.
Despite being three weeks into the vaccination program, the Princess Alexandra Hospital doctor had not been given her first dose.
The doctor assessed two positive cases on Wednesday night, both of whom were being treated for the UK strain of COVID-19.
The doctor developed symptoms on Thursday and tested positive to the virus yesterday.
It is not yet known whether the doctor has contracted the UK strain however Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was likely results would confirm that to be the case.
Queensland Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said the doctor was considered a top priority for vaccinations, along with 37,000 others.
She said that group of 37,000 included front line health workers, hotel quarantine staff, paramedics, border control staff and cleaners.
“All of these 37,000 people are equally important to each other,” Ms D’Ath said.
“Every one of them need the vaccine as soon as we can possibly give it to them.”
Half of the priority group at the Princess Alexandra Hospital have already received the jab, but not the infected doctor.
The hospital is currently working to contact any patients who may have been in contact with the doctor during her infectious period as well as any transfers that may have occurred through the state’s ambulance system.
Ms Palaszczuk said the next 72 hours would be “critical” in determining whether further community transmission had occurred.
The Queensland Premier has said the doctor has spent “very limited” time in the community, urging the community to remain calm.
“I don’t want everyone to be alarmed at present,” she said.
Three new cases of overseas acquired coronavirus have been diagnosed overnight.
Three venues have been listed as high-risk.
- Morning After Café at West End on Thursday between 2pm and 3.15pm
- Corporate Box Gym at Greenslopes on Thursday between 5.45pm and 7pm
- Stones Corner Hotel at Stones Corner on Thursday between 7 and 7.45pm
The doctor went through the drive-through at Coorparoo McDonalds between 3.10pm and 3.20pm on Thursday. That is considered a low-risk venue.
All non-essential visits to patients at the Princess Alexandra Hospital have been banned, elective surgeries postponed and a mask mandate for anyone attending the hospital.
Queensland Health said the emergency department would remain open but urged potential patients to choose another hospital or GP if possible.
“Staff will wear masks at all times,” a Queensland Health statement said.
“Patients will be required to wear masks at all times unless it is not clinically appropriate.
“Non-urgent outpatient bookings and elective surgery will be postponed.”
Hospital staff are also looking to stand up a second testing clinic in case of a surge in testing numbers.
“There may be some long lines so be prepared for that if you’re coming forward any getting tested,” Ms D’Ath said.
Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms is urged to get tested immediately and isolate until receiving a negative result.
Queensland will begin a rapid increase in the state’s vaccination rollout with over 18,000 people having received the jab so far.
The state is halfway through the first cohort of 37,000 frontline health workers in line to receive the vaccine.
The state will now begin the second stage of the vaccine rollout plan which includes a cohort of one million Queenslanders.